Thursday, September 03, 2009

Obama Goes Back To School

Apparently President Obama is going to speak specifically to our children next week. He's going to televise this so that the kids can watch it live, and the White House has provided "talking points," if you will, for the classroom. The suggestions were,
for pre-K through grade 6 suggests questions students think about during the speech, such as "What is the President trying to tell me? What is the President asking me to do?"

for grades 7-12 a "guided discussion," with suggested topics: "What resonated with you from President Obama's speech? What is President Obama inspiring you to do?"

Conservatives are all a dither over him "speaking directly to our children" and "brainwashing them."

My understanding is that basically President Obama is going to talk about how important education is, and why kids need to stay in school. So knowing that,

Seriously folks? You really think President Obama is going to "brainwash" your children about what? Healthcare? The War in Iraq? Going to college? The humanity! Your kids might actually be inspired to do well in school & get a higher education!

I can't imagine what you think he's going to say to our kids that will suddenly turn them into flaming liberals. I actually had to look up the article to find out what the fuss was about. I thought for sure he must be talking about some controversial topic. I believe the "talking points" are basically to help make sure the kids are paying attention. It's no big secret that the kids like to screw around in class when the TV goes on. I'm pretty sure there isn't any indoctrination into "liberal" politics that will take place. It's noted in the news article, that Reagan, and George H. Bush both addressed students when in office. Which means!?! that I was addressed when in school. And guess what?? I'm an Obama girl. Obviously, it didn't hurt me. I turned out OK, or at least more or less the same. I wasn't a fan of President Reagan when in office (I actually didn't speak to my dad for a week after voting for him the second time) and I wasn't a fan of him after he (Reagan) spoke to me and my peers either. Actually, I don't remember it, so there you go.

As a parent, part of my job is to teach my children what I think is right and wrong. If you don't agree with the President's policies it's your job to teach your children what you do believe and why. While I don't think our President is going to say anything that will need refuting on any level, I think it's good for our kids to get different views on different topics. It helps them develop into critical thinkers. You know, well rounded individuals who can take in multiple viewpoints on topics and then develop a well thought out opinion. I'm crazy like that, wanting my kids to grow up to be smart and all.


I think our kids are all going to be OK.


Can I just say that I know several of you are "conservative". I hope this doesn't offend you and prevent you from coming back to read more (since I don't usually get on my big ol' political soapbox anyway). Most of my family is very conservative, thus my sarcastic tone. ;) Here's the thing, I'm topic by topic and when you add it all up I usually come out on the side of: Common Sense. If you don't like what I had to say, tell me (respectfully). And we can agree to disagree, just so long as we can all go get Starbucks later, okay?

0 comments: