Monday, January 17, 2011

Weight -The Back Story (AKA-How To Make A Short Story Long)

I know I've mentioned my weight before. Ever since this back problem started, and the shots and the steroids, blah, blah, blah... I always thought that the weight I gained would come off easily once I was able to get moving again on a regular basis. Maybe, once I get down to a certain weight that will be the case? I don't know. I have a theory right now about how your body responds to weight loss/gain.
If you're in a mode where your body is gaining weight you're more likely to gain it. If you're in a mode where your body is losing, you'll be more likely to lose.
Huh? I know, when I typed that I was like, "Well, that sounded brilliant. Jeez." What I mean is that when your body is already in the process of gaining weight or holding onto it, you're more likely to gain weight. Your body is responding to your need to make sure you have enough stockpiles of energy. Even if you're already overweight, you're body is in the mode of holding onto the supplies you put in, so it's going to keep doing that till you teach it differently. Same with losing weight. If your body is in the mode of burning it's supplies, it will continue to do so, unless you teach it differently. As I'm writing this I'm realizing it sounds very; "a body in motion will tend to stay in motion..." And I guess that's pretty close to what I'm saying. I came to this little nugget of wisdom as a result of how my body responded to the steroids I was put on to try and heal my back.
The first time my doctor put me on steroids I actually lost weight. I know that's the opposite what of what does happen to most people. I was in a lot of pain, most of the time. I wasn't moving much and I wasn't eating much. Maybe the steroids helped so that I was moving more and I just didn't realize it, but I don't think so. By the time I was done with that phase of my "healing" I'd lost 20 lbs. I looked awesome! But I felt like shit! So I never went anywhere looking that awesome. I don't think my cats fully appreciated how great I looked either, totally wasted on them. The second time I was put on oral steroids was a few weeks after my back surgery. I try to tell myself that the surgery or something about it, slowed down my metabolism, and maybe that's true. What I know for sure is that I put weight on at that point. And I put it on fast. I gained 20 lbs in 2 weeks! It took months for that 20 lbs to come off before! Two effing weeks! So unfair. I wasn't eating a bunch more, I definitely wasn't moving more, but that weight popped on like I was sucking fat 24/7. There's a visual for you. You're welcome. I told myself not to freak out, "It will come right off once I start walking everyday again." Yeah, not so much. In the process of the next year, I put on an additional 20 lbs. Yes, I was eating again, but I was moving again too. In my opinion, it should have at least been a wash. My body didn't get that memo, so now I'm 40 lbs up. In September of last year I went back to Weight Watchers to "stop the bleeding."
I'm a "lifetime member" at Weight Watchers, (WW). I joined it around the end of college. I was in great shape, working out everyday, but couldn't seem to get rid these last 10 lbs. My folks were on it, and having good success, so I joined too. It took many, many months, but I did lose that weight. I also kept it off for over 6 weeks. That's what made me a lifetime member. I've gone back at various points to lose weight that I'd gained back, but I pretty much kept it under control until pregnancy.
Pregnancy was not nice to my body, is it to anyone's? After I had Big, I had some weight to lose. (I gained 30 lbs. with her.) I breastfed and found out those "Milk Nazis" are lying liars! It did NOT take the weight off. Diet & exercise helped get it off. There were 10 lbs I gained my very first month of pregnancy that never did come off. At the time, my doctor told me she wasn't even counting them as part of my weight gain, "because I was obviously doing things to keep the weight off before I was pregnant. My body was making sure my weight was where it needed to be to take care of my baby now that I was pregnant." I informed her I was counting it when it was time to take the weight off. I was wrong. Oh, I counted it, I just never got it off. I was too busy with my baby. And during that time, I didn't care that much. I wanted to lose it, but I didn't have the bandwidth to give to the process. I was having too much fun being a mom. When I got pregnant with Little, I actually lost weight. No, I wasn't sick, my body just didn't gain. The total weight I gained that pregnancy; 10 lbs. I had a lot of weird symptoms that pregnancy; I was actually told to drink at least a cup of coffee every day, to try and help get my blood pressure up. It turned out I had low amniotic fluid. I didn't test low till the very end, but Little's umbilical cord was less then a foot long (they're usually 3-4 feet, I'm told,) which is typical with low amniotic fluid. I looked awesome during that pregnancy. When I left the hospital I did not look like a person who had just birthed a baby. So even though pregnancy did it's number on me, after two pregnancies I was actually thinner. That lasted until the back injury. And now we've come full circle.
So, I went back to WW in September. By early November I had lost 10 lbs. Woot for me! And then the holidays hit. I tried to stay focused, I really did. We had the "attack of the super lice" during Thanksgiving break and it's been uphill since then. I know I haven't blogged about the lice issue, it's because I've been dealing with the lice issue. I intend to write about it, at length. I even started writing the post, but then I had to go comb a kid's hair or something. When I get over the trauma of completely cleaning out an entire house THREE TIMES! I'm still suffering PTSD from the whole thing, so I can't talk about it much. The current standing is that we treat the girls all month as if they still have lice; special shampoos, conditioners, and detanglers, along with a brush through with the lice comb every night. No, I'm not exaggerating. The brush through is no small task, have you seen Big's hair? It's LONG. We seem to be bug free for several weeks, but we thought that before and will continue our protocol at least through January. So yeah, I started stress eating, and it was the holidays, so there was a lot of food to stress eat. Also, I had a birthday in there, and you know, cake. At some point I just said screw it, I'm not even trying anymore. I ate what I wanted. I binged. I gave up completely. When I went back the first week of the year, I'd gained it all back. So I'm starting from scratch more or less now.
Bored Mommy posted about her first week on WW. I read it, and commented. I'm a freaking pro at this deal, I just have to practice what I preach. I decided I'm inspired to blog this part of my life too. So I will be adding that little tidbit to my other postings as well. Now that you have the backstory....