Sunday, February 12, 2006

Meet Fred & Wilma

For the first 4 years of our marriage, Daddyspeak (DS) and I had an extra-long “Full” sized bed. We share this bed with two cats and at that time one dog (the other dog never got in bed with us). Not a lot of room to move around. If you wanted to roll over you would “spin” in place. (Hmmm, wonder why I have sleep issues….) One of the things we agreed, when we moved into this house is that we would pony up and purchase a “real-sized” bed. We now have a California King. Honestly, at first I wasn’t that crazy about the size. I kinda wished we had gotten the Queen. I know, I’m insane (you’re just realizing this?) But I was used to having DS right next to me and at first it was like I’d get into bed and be like, “Where are you? Oh, all the way over there.” Also, this bed sits so high (and the dogs now have such nice dog beds) that we’re only sharing with the cats. So it was like we almost had too much room.
Don’t worry I got over it. I like it now. (What I don’t like are making it and buying linens for it. Can you say expensive?)
Of course, I’ve managed to find a way to make it not seem so large. I’ve hit the point in my pregnancy where I need some “support” at night to sleep. So I pulled out the infamous body pillow. I stick it between my knees (helps support my hips,) and under my stomach (obvious support issue). This go around I’ve also found that my back doesn’t seem to bother me so much if I put a large (king-sized) pillow on my backside so I don’t end up on my back. For those of you who don’t know, when you’re pregnant you’re supposed to sleep on your left side. Depending on the size & placement of your baby, laying on your back or right side can potentially restrict blood flow in your major artery. (Note: sleeping in one position is really hard to do from the perspective of actually getting your body to stay that way & it’s hard on the parts that are supporting all your weight.) During my first pregnancy I named the body pillow “Fred”. It’s so big, it seemed like it ought to have its own zip code, much less a name! Since we’ve added to the family this go around I figured I’d name the other one (somewhat smaller in stature,) Wilma seemed appropriate.

Fred and Wilma have made their appearance this week. They’ll be joining us for the next 3 months. I’m sleeping much better for it, but I think DS is feeling a little pushed out.

Meet Fred, my late night buddy.

0 comments: