Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Back to the Grind--and not the Starbucks kind either

Had to go back to work today after a week off. That sucked. Don't get me wrong, my job is ok, but it is just a job. (Ironically I work on web pages all day, but that's about as much as I'm going to say about it now.) And I'd much rather be at home any time. There was once a time when work was a "real job", I worked in MarCom (marketing communications--advertising, PR, tradeshows...) and traveled A LOT. Internationally and domestic. It was cool. I saw some really, really cool places, I learned to travel alone (and how much fun that can be, cause you meet so many fun people that way.) I racked up frequent flyer miles and knew the drill to get the good seats on the plane (including how to get myself bumped up to business everytime.) I partied a lot and made a ridiculous amount of money doing it. But I got burned out, and then I met someone and decided I'd rather stay closer to home. I do like being home (and having one) better, at least at this point in my life. But I can't say there isn't a part of me that doesn't miss it. And there's so many places I haven't been yet; South America (minus parts of Mexico), Bali, Austraila, AFRICA! (we were supposed to go to Africa the year we got pregnant w/(ToddlerSpeak) TS, opps, kinda screwed that up!)....Course all my travel was pre-9/11 maybe I wouldn't enjoy so much travel now. It's a whole new world now right? And I'm pretty addicted to Starbucks now too, so maybe it wouldn't be as much fun. (Not the coffee, it's all about the vente, decaf, single-shot, non-fat, no-whip mochas! Obviously, I don't like coffee all that much, if I did I'd drink Peet's, but that's a story for another day.) Just trying to make myself feel better. I work a crappy little job, making next to no money so I can have PT hours and great benefits (it's a govenment job). So that's the trade off I guess. We can have the SAH debate on another day.

Actually, the big excitement for today is that I had my monthy check up. Baby (BS) is doing well, but I'm still not really gaining weight. I've gained 2 lbs now. It's super weird because I had gained like 15-20 by now w/TS. I had an amnio last month & BS measured to the date, so I'm not worried about it. I still had 15 lbs to lose from TS, so I'm actually pretty pleased about it. But today my Dr. told me I need to start eating. "I am eating." "No, I mean you need to start adding snacks or something." I had to laugh. It's random to be a chick in this generation and be told you need to gain weight. To eat snacks! I know in a month or two I'll look back at this & cringe cause I'll take her up on it and eat those snacks, and instead of going to the baby it'll go right to my fat arce.

0 comments: